What’s special about our Wild Alaskan Blackcod….
- FROZEN AT SEA: Through advanced quick-freezing technology (FAS) Frozen At Sea, makes frozen fresher in it’s unique ability to capture the fresh-caught flavor of the Alaskan Blackcod while preserving the fish’s firm texture and rich taste. Our boat is equipped with the technology to process on board just minutes after catching in order to preserve the highest quality by industry standards.
- CONVENIENT SIZE: Each 10-12oz piece represents half of a fillet and is perfect for 2 people
- HIGHEST OMEGA: 3’S Sablefish is the powerhouse of long chain omega 3 fatty acids DHA and EPA. Each 3oz portion is packed with 1,350mg of heart healthy omega’s.
- FORGIVING TO OVERCOOKING: It’s nearly impossible to overcook Sablefish because of the high concentration of these heart-healthy oils. Cooking at 485° F for 8-12 minutes is sufficient. Don’t be shy to marinade for a couple days too!
- CHEFS FAVORITE: The legendary Japanese chef, Nobu Matsuhisa, credits his iconic miso-marinated Alaskan Blackcod dish to be among his top 10 signature dishes that made his career in his now world wide restaurant empire.
- HOOK & LINE: Caught in depths of 150-1500 meters, each fish is brought aboard one at a time to ensure proper and careful handling from sea to final product.
- FAMILY RUN AND SUSTAINABLY HARVESTED. All our Blackcod is certified sustainable by the RFM and MSC and caught by Captain Jim Hubbard aboard the F/V Kruzof. Based out of Seward Alaska they catch Blackcod in the Gulf and Southeast Alaska beginning March and extending to November.
Often referred to as the ‘Fillet Mignon of the Sea’, our wild Black Cod also known as Sablefish, is a very oily, buttery, delicious fish. Among other Wild Alaskan products, this product is also the best choice for Omega 3 value—great heart and brain food. Featuring 10 to 20 lbs of beautiful vacuum packed FAS (frozen at sea) Blackcod pieces. These are line caught, hand cut, individually vacuum-sealed 10oz pieces to make for easy preparing.
Black Cod (not to be mistaken for true cod) has a succulent, rich flavor and velvety texture with a beautiful snow-white fillet, perfect flake and rich oil content.You wont find quality better than this, frozen right on board our fishing vessel Kruzof to ensure absolute freshness.
Given its high natural oil content and richness, it is more forgiving to overcooking. It lends itself well to marinades and best prepared by baking, broiling or searing. While there are many delicious ways to prepare this fish, we are are often drawn to the Japanese methods of preparation which include marinades like that of the miso & sake marinade. Or you can try our family favorite broiled in a sweet ginger soy glaze. Either way, this fish is very forgiving to overcooking and best sautéed, baked, or broiled. Find many more variations and recipe ideas available from our recipes.
Note, these are 10 to 12 -ounce skin-on half lb portions caught via the Kruzof fishing vessel by hook and line method. Each 10 ounce half is an estimate. Our Blackcod pieces are frozen at sea, vacuum packed and hand cut to make convenient and easy to use serving sized for two. Each 10-pound box might have between 13 and 16 portions and a 20lb box has between 26 and 32 portions (estimates).
In Alaska, protecting the future of both the Sablefish stocks and the environment takes priority over opportunities for commercial harvest. The Alaska population of Sablefish is estimated from biennial scientific research surveys. Managers use survey data to determine the “TOTAL AVAILABLE” population, identify the “ALLOWABLE CATCH” and set a lower “ACTUAL CATCH” limit to ensure that the wild Sablefish population in Alaska’s waters will always be sustainable.